Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Answers

I am behind in my e-course. But last night I read the time management post. I had to. I've been going around all week asking myself, How do I carve out time to make art? Something's got to give, but what? I can't take time away from my kids. I can't be irresponsible and quit my job. My boss will not let me reduce my hours - believe me, I don't need to ask. I am completely and totally committed to doing my art, but where will I make the cut?

This past Sunday I decorated my first cigar keepsake box with my best friend Charisse.To my delight, it turned out great! I even decided I that I am a mixed media artist. I had a hunch before I started on the box and now it is confirmed.

Part of my hunch came from the fact that I loved so many things - photography, writing, painting, collage. Yet I am not a purest. (I am one of the few who gave kudos to James Frey for embellishing the truth in his memoir A Million Little Pieces. It made the story better and that's what I wanted: a good read.) Yes, I can take photos that inspire me. But when I show them to other people, I don't get the big, "Wow!" that I'm looking for. I honestly think it's because stunning photographs are a dime a dozen. They're everywhere. (For all the purist photographers out there: I totally admire you for the type of artist you are and I appreciate and love great photography.) But for me, straight photography was missing something. It was only a partial expression of talents.

This reminded me that I had identified three types of art, all of which would constitute who I am as an artist. I just hadn't imagined using them all together until now. I imagine painting atop a photograph, inserting words into some paintings, plastering buttons and other found items on my paintings and brushing over them with an opaque paint. Yes, mixed media allows me to put my own print on each piece. It makes each one uniquely me.

So, how will I make the time to be a mixed media artist? Three things sunk in from Kelly's class. First, I need to clarify my goals, break them into small steps and put them on my calendar. I had already figured out the first two steps but had yet to list them on my calendar. Very important difference! Second, plan a schedule only one week out every Sunday and stick to it. Know that my schedule will vary as projects and demands vary. Be open for the changes. And finally, Kelly confirmed for me what I already knew but had made me feel irresponsible in the past: when you feel the passion, follow it even at the expense of balance. The inspiration will eventually ebb and you can catch up then.

This got me thinking. How will I explain the lack of balance to my kids? They will be impacted too. I have come up with three strategies: get them to bed on time and spend one hour each evening creating in my studio. In fact, I will designate the time 8:30 - 9:30 so that I won't be too tired. I will tell the boys that the clock will dictate bedtime regardless of whether on not they have eaten their snack, brushed their teeth, etc. This will actually be a good lesson to them as I will be demonstrating discipline and time management skills. As they get older and stay up later, I may allow them to be in the studio with me making creations of their own on one condition: they are quiet.My boys are very gifted artists themselves - even my stepson. Maybe this will allow them to develop yet another skill and passion in their lives. Finally, and most importantly, I will not make excuses or feel guilty for the huge flows of inspiration and resulting imbalance. My family will just have to learn how to pick up the pieces. Here's what I will tell them:

Being an artist
Is like being a farmer.
You gotta make hay while the sun shines -
Sometimes until the cows come home...

They will catch on. And so will I.

I Am Mixed Media

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post! Be the mixed media farmer that you were born to be! Can't wait to create with you again!- Charisse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a wonderful Italian phrase in "Eat, Love, Pray" by Liz Gilbert -- "L'arte d'arrangiarsi" means the art of making something out of nothing. The art of turning a few simple ingredients into a feast or a few gathered friends into a festival -- or a few otherwise ordinary things into great works of art. All three, it seems to me, bring pleasure and joy into an otherwise routine existence. Go for it, girl! Your boys will adapt.

    ReplyDelete