Sunday, February 21, 2010

Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog. I am so glad you are here. This is all so new for me so you may see lots of funny things for awhile until I get this all figured out.

So why the name Joint Laughter and Snorting Thru Tears? Because, for me, many things have stood in the way of my becoming: psychological issues with money, anxiety and managing my highs and lows, not knowing who I am, divorce, prioritizing my parenting of 2 boys with special needs, managing post-divorce lawsuits that put me $30,000 in debt, learning to manage my ex-husband's wife who constantly interferes in medical decisions for my kids and - along with my ex - sends regular abusive emails, family of origin things to work through, fear of success, living in an idealistic mindset, and the list goes on... I have worked with a wonderful therapist for year through all of this which has helped keep me moving forward. Whenever I'd encounter something really difficult it seemed like something funny would get said and before we knew it she and I would be laughing and snorting through our tears. These were beautiful healing times.

Nonetheless, the above list is not a list of excuses. It's just life. And, as we all know, life is difficult. This is where I need to mention God and His grace. Each time I have been faced with something really difficult I have surrendered it to God. And you know what? He has never let me down. Not once. The result might be different than I expected or what I thought I wanted but it is always better than I could have imagined myself.

I have learned many valuable things through this process of evolving and continue to learn. It's interesting looking back at what I've done and how it all makes sense - how I've weaved a web to keep climbing to where I am going. I know now that I will never "arrive" but rather arrive for a time - sometimes short, sometimes long - before growth takes me further. Speaking of growth, I have learned that it is always associated with pain (again reinforcing the name of my blog) but I just move through the pain to get to the other side where I know beautiful gifts lie waiting to be opened.

Now for the big picture. I've known for sure for the past thirteen years that my purpose is to be a writer. It came to me in a poem that spoke straight to me from the Universe. The poem, which I will share later once I figure out how to copyright this site, is called I Am Write. So to remind me of my purpose I call myself that on this blog.

This process of becoming is a herky jerky one. Sometimes it seems like an eternity to get to the next level, though I know things are cooking underground. Other times, like now I move quickly and without resistance. I love these times.

My newest realization is that I do not want to be an entrepreneur (at least until I can write and do my art for a living)and actually want to work for someone else so that I can have a steady income, benefits and can put my energy into my craft. Having moved to northern IA from the Twin Cities 8 months ago,to live with my fiance' and his son, the job prospects in this town of 5,000 are limited. I had applied for a job at the local bank but they chose someone else because I was overqualified. Though I had a brief cry, which is so cleansing to me, I am ready to see what God has in store for me. So off to make connections and apply for jobs.

I look forward to hearing from you as you find your path and pray that you, too, will laugh and snort thru tears or simply laugh and snort,

IAW

No comments:

Post a Comment